OssDsign - unique medical technology with global potential
OssDsign is a Swedish medtech enterprise based in Uppsala that designs, manufactures and sells regenerative implants that improve healing of skeletal tissue in the cranium and face.
OssDsign implants are used in neurological and plastic surgery procedures. Patients treated using OssDsign products have often suffered major cranial trauma or deformities (where treatment with other implants has been unsuccessful). By early-2015, over 150 patients had been treated using OssDsign’s first two products (Craniomosaic), and Sculpter Cranial and Sculpter Facial, with clinical outcomes being exceptionally positive. This scientific background lies in a collaboration between the University of Uppsala and the Karolinska Institute, with the development process resulting in a unique material, which in published cases demonstrated reduced risk of infection, regenerative efficacy in tissue and the implant being converted into normal skeletal tissue over time. Production is at OssDsign’s premises in Uppsala, where the material is coated with a patient-specific 3D-printed titanium mesh that fully matches the patient’s anatomy and the surgeon’s requirements. OssDsign is in an exciting launch phase, aiming at global expansion in cranioplasty and facial reconstruction, simultaneous with developing new applications on the existing technology platform.
- A forecast 108,000 cranioplasty implants will be used globally in 2016, equating to a value of SEK 3.2 billion.
- The usage of patient-specific implants will increase by >6 percent yearly over the next five years
- New clinical data has resulted in more hemicraniectomies for the treatment of stroke, driving the market for cranioplasty implants generally, and patient-specific implants in particular
- The market is still dominated by autologous bone implants and generic implants from Stryker, Depuy Synthes and Biomet. Treatment with these traditional implants often causes complications such as infection and resorption
- The global market for facial implants is worth SEK 1.8 billion, excluding congenital defects (an estimated 670,000 untreated patients in the OECD)
Significant events during the year
- OssDsign's main product for cranio implants received an FDA approval and the company has now begun sales in the US through a distributor
- OssDsign Craniomosaic for cranial defects launched in the UK
- OssDsign launched Sculpter for facial defects in the Nordics, Germany and UK
- Complete sales team in place in the Nordics, Germany and UK