InXide – Cleantech: composite solutions for high volumes
Business activities Inxide is a cleantech company focusing on developing and industrializing smart composite technologies. Its objective is to introduce composites in many sectors where they are regarded as an important solution for satisfying future legislative and customer requirements.
Manufacturing the composite core
The main challenge is to identify and develop processes that can satisfy volume and cost standards in the vehicle and sports industries. Inxide’s technologies, which use the unique properties of composite materials, enable a dramatic reduction in environmental impact.
The technologies offered by Inxide use composite materials in components more efficiently to achieve cost-effective production of thermoplastic composites with the central aim of reducing weight. Inxide’s portfolio now contains three unique technologies—X-TECH™, X-BIM™ and X-SHELL™. All are aimed at cost-effectively producing lightweight and robust solutions.
Inxide, which has development offices in Trollhättan, Sweden, and Switzerland, works close to its customers to support their development work by analyzing and applying the company’s unique composite expertise in future applications. In addition to development support, Inxide has production capacity in Sweden, Tunisia and China.
- Over the next five years, the composite market is expected to grow by 5 percent a year, and in 2018, the global market is forecast to have sales of USD 34 billion
- The highest-growth markets are aviation, transport (cars and commercial vehicles), construction, wind power and the sports industry
- Inxide primarily focuses on the transport and sports sectors. Growth in the automotive industry is expected to increase from USD 2.8 billion in 2011 to USD 4.8 billion in 2017
- The driving force in the transport sector is meeting legislative and customer requirements to reduce environmental impact
- Cost-effective solutions that make smart composites available to more customers are the driving force in the sports sector
Significant events during the year
- In 2015, Inxide signed a contract with a Chinese partner to deliver increasing volumes of a civilian drone made by Swiss-based senseFly, where Inxide manufactures the extremely light loadbearing structure using X-BIM™
- In 2015, Inxide completed a development project for Volvo Cars on an eye hook, with serial production under evaluation at year-end
- Alongside Klippan Safety, Inxide participated in a production project for Volvo Cars for an X-TECH™ reinforced cargo area grid in 2015
- In 2015, Inxide secured SEK 2.5 million funding in the strategic lightweight innovation segment (LIGHT:er), to execute an industrialization project based on X-SHELL™ with partners such as Volvo Cars and Kinnarps