Applied Nano Surfaces – unique technology secures ANS’s status as a global provider
Business activities Applied Nano Surfaces (ANS) is active in tribology and friction minimization. ANS has developed methods for the costeffective treatment of surfaces to achieve low friction and less wear. Its business model involves offering products on a license basis and charging for direct materials.
A ring-on-liner test to measure friction and wear
ANS helps customers implement its methods and products directly into their existing production processes or to find solutions delivered by ANS partners.
ANS Triboconditioning® is a method that gives steel and cast iron components smoother surfaces and a frictionreduction coating. This reduces energy consumption and thereby also energy costs. The treatment is mechanical, and uses the same type of machinery already used in production in turning, honing or grinding processes etc. Accordingly, the cost of the treatment is low and it is easy to implement as a final stage in existing production processes.
ANS Tricolit® is a spray-based friction-reduction coating that can be applied to many different types of material, such as stainless steel, aluminum, steel and plastic. Tricolit® is integrated into the customer’s production process or provided by a supplier. ANS works in close cooperation with Bodycote, a company that offers surface coating, heat treatment and hot isostatic pressing, to offer Tricolit® treatment to customers worldwide. Tricolit® can also be combined with Bodycote’s own offering to further broaden the applications and customer base.
ANS customers are active in segments where energy losses or wear on components is significant, such as in combustion engines, plain bearings, compressors and pumps, material handling systems, etc.
- ANS works with many of the world’s largest companies in the automotive industry. Other important customer segments include manufacturers of bearings, pumps, rock drills and compressors
- Because there are numerous application areas and volumes are high, the market potential for ANS products is very substantial. The ANS license model also enables scalability and good profitability
- Demand is driven by customer’s requiring increased energy efficiency and new environmental legislation
- Competition is mainly from traditional polishing options and other types of surface coating
Significant events during the year
- ANS signed a license agreement with Gnutti Carlo —a global market leader in valve train components for heavy vehicles—and initiated joint sales efforts to establish the solution on the market
- Deeper cooperation with Bodycote to gain new customers and develop more attractive low-friction and robust solutions
- ANS and Bodycote filed patent application for a new product and process with excellent tribological characteristics
- Establishment of an optimized mechanical process with effective tools for Triboconditioning® of axles and internal geometries